Take a peek behind the scenes – and say hello to our little friends!
Mingle with the Macaronis experiences are sold out for the season.
Want to know how penguins stay warm, eat and play while living in their icy-cold habitat? Get up close and personal with them at the Detroit Zoo! Under the guidance and supervision of a zookeeper, you will be able to interact with these charming birds. Your visit will last approximately two hours and include a behind-the-scenes tour of the Polk Penguin Conservation Center. Many photo opportunities will be available as you meet and hand-feed some of the gentoo, rockhopper and macaroni penguins that reside at the Zoo. View frequently asked questions here.
- Mingles are conducted from 1 to 3 p.m.
- Mingles cannot be scheduled during breeding season (March 15 – May 31) or molting season (August 15 – September 30)
- Groups limited to six participants
- Children must be 7 or older and accompanied by an adult
- Reservations must be made two weeks in advance and are non-refundable
- Cost is $1,000 per group
- Frequently asked questions