Take a peek behind the scenes – and say hello to our little friends!
Mingle with the Macaronis are now booking for 2024.
Want to know how penguins stay warm, eat and play while living in their icy-cold habitat? Get up close and personal with them at the Detroit Zoo! Under the guidance and supervision of a zookeeper, you will be able to interact with these charming birds. Your visit will last approximately two hours and include a behind-the-scenes tour of the Polk Penguin Conservation Center. Many photo opportunities will be available as you meet and hand-feed some of the gentoo, rockhopper and macaroni penguins that reside at the Zoo. View frequently asked questions here.
- Mingles are conducted from 1 to 3p.m. Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays
- Mingles cannot be scheduled during breeding season (March – June) or Molting Season (August – September)
- Groups limited to six participants
- Children must be 7 or older and accompanied by an adult
- Please dress accordingly; the penguin habitat is kept at 42 degrees Fahrenheit. Please wear socks and closed-toed shoes. We will provide boots and protective gear.
- Due to Avian Influenza concerns, we ask that you are not around any commercial or backyard poultry within seven days of your experience date.
- If you own or care for birds, please wear clothing that has not had any contact with them.
- Reservations must be made three weeks in advance and are non-refundable
- Cost is $1,000 per group
- If you would like to book your mingle contact us.