Take a peek behind the scenes – and say hello to our little friends!
Mingle With the Macaronis
Want to know how penguins stay warm, eat and play while living in their icy-cold habitat? Get up close and personal with them at the Detroit Zoo! Under the guidance and supervision of a zookeeper, you will be able to interact with these charming birds. Your visit will last approximately two hours and include a behind-the-scenes tour of the Polk Penguin Conservation Center. Many photo opportunities will be available as you meet and hand-feed some of the gentoo, rockhopper and macaroni penguins that reside at the Zoo. View frequently asked questions here.
- Mingles are conducted from 1 to 3 p.m.
- Mingles cannot be scheduled during breeding season (March 15 – May 31) or molting season (August 15 – September 30)
- Groups limited to six participants
- Children must be 7 or older and accompanied by an adult
- Reservations must be made two weeks in advance and are non-refundable
- Cost is $1,000 per group
- Frequently asked questions
For more information about Mingle with the Macaronis or to make reservations, please call (248) 336-5836 or submit the form below.